Evaluate & Compare ADD, LD, &Autistic Spectrum Disorder Programs
What you need to know to evaluate services
(1) The Attention Learning Center is run by doctors. Sometimes large centers are run by business and marketing administrators. Just like in managed care health insurance, patient care takes a back seat when business and marketing administrators play too much of a role.
(2) Wherever you are located, be careful of centers that will treat a laundry list of problems with EEG Neurofeedback Therapy. There is very little scientific support to treat Depression, Pain, Sleep Disorders, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Auditory Language Disorders, Oppositional Defiant Disorders, and the all-inclusive “Impulse Control Disorders”. Centers that treat a laundry list of disorders may be focusing upon marketing goals, not patient need. For example, Oppositional Defiant Disorder indeed correlates with ADHD but tends to occur in untreated patients with parents whose parental authority is inadequate. It will not improve with EEG Neurofeedback Therapy alone.
We follow the research and look for breakthrough applications of other scientifically based clinicians. When and if new conditions can be successfully treated with EEG Neurofeedback Therapy, responsible centers will provide this service. For example, The Attention Learning Center has just recently begun to research the treatment of learning disabilities and closed head injuries. The bottom line: do not pick a center that treats a laundry list of symptoms no matter how impressive their promotional material appears.
(3) Look for centers that consider only what’s best for you or your child. Although we helped invent these techniques, we do not believe they’re a magic bullet for everyone. Programs that should be avoided only offer EEG Neurofeedback Therapy. The best programs provide social skills training, parenting groups, child and family therapy, and have Psychiatrists on staff for prescribing the mildest dose of medication possible (if this is deemed necessary for you or your child). The best treatment recommendations only consider your child and your family…not the bottom line. They know there are very few magic bullets in this world when it comes to health care.
(4) If you are local, you can have your child seen by the doctor who helped pioneer EEG Neurofeedback Therapy and QEEG testing for ADD, Asperger’s, and Autism! Michael Linden, Ph.D., is an internationally renowned pioneer in this field and his research is quoted all over the world. “Google” his name and then the name of any of our competitors in Southern California.
(5) The Attention Learning Center is backed up with scientific research and peer review. Many centers don’t have a single relevant publication to their credit. Be careful to notice if research studies have comparison treatment (control) groups. When given a choice, pick a treatment center engaged in controlled, peer reviewed research. This suggests that the group is open to peer review and focused upon treatment outcome.
(6) Good centers are only as good as the people who head them and how involved they are in the treatment. Make sure that the people who head these centers are licensed mental health professionals, certified in EEG Neurofeedback Therapy and experienced in ADD, LD, and Autistic Spectrum Disorders.
(7) The best centers use brain mapping and no longer rely upon the older “single point EEG analysis”. This is a significant step forward. Some groups continue to offer this obsolete diagnostic technique. Look for brain mapping diagnostics, and ask if their map includes a Neurologist review of the raw EEG. This is especially true to rule out possible seizure disorders that can occur among these patients.
(8) Dr. Linden helped develop the QEEG assessment, a very large step forward in the accurate diagnosis of ADHD. This improvement in assessment has allowed him to identify subtypes of ADD, Asperger’s, and Autism. Furthermore, the mapping features of this assessment (cited above) further refine how the EEG Neurofeedback Therapy will individually be done, significantly improving treatment outcome.
(9) The Attention Learning Center is the most experienced center for EEG Neurofeedback Therapy and QEEG for ADD, LD, and ASD in California. We were among the first in the country researching and utilizing this procedure. Today there are thousands of practitioners throughout the country. The world wide growth suggests how useful this treatment approach can be. If you live in southern California, you can have the doctor who invented this technique treat you or your child. If you are not in our area, please consider these points when selecting a treatment center or contact us for referrals in your area.
(10) For people who do not live in southern California, we have frequently completed the QEEG map and put together a treatment plan. We believe we are getting you “halfway there” by ensuring that the diagnostics and treatment plan are correct. At that point, we could refer you to practitioners we trust in your area for the EGG Neurofeedback Therapy. Please refer to our link “Don’t live in Southern California” for additional information on how to have The Attention Learning Center complete the diagnostics and treatment plan.